Two worshippers were killed and 122 wounded by twin bombings at Benghazi’s Saad ibn Obadah mosque during Friday’s noon prayer.
Three weeks ago, 35 people were killed after a double car-bombing hit a mosque in the city's Salmani district. Security officials said this evening that an improvised explosive device (IED) was discovered and defused at Onais ibn Aamir mosque in the Faqaat district.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for any of the attacks, however, brigadier Ahmed al-Mesmary, spokesman of the Libyan National Army (LNA), yesterday accused unnamed local al-Qaeda affiliates of Salmani's car-bombings.
A security official who spoke to our website on condition of anonymity blamed the attacks on “remnants and sleeper cells” of ‘the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council’ (BRSC), an alliance of Islamist militias which includes Ansar al-Sharia. The source believes the attacks were targeted at leaders of the city’s ‘Quietist Salafism movement’ (also known as Madkhali Salafisim), a non-Jihadi religious group that backs both the LNA and Libya’s eastern government. “Sleeper cells of local al-Qaeda affiliates are lashing out against Benghazi in revenge for their defeat last year at the hands of LNA forces backed Salafists and local vigilante fighters,” claimed the source.
Riyad Shuhaiby, spokesman of Benghazi’s Central Security Room, said today’s bombings were caused by two ‘explosive bags’ believed to have been detonated remotely, one hidden at the mosque’s women’s area and the other placed just outside the men’s section.